The James T. Hill Scholarship
One of the most important keys to the University's success in a rapidly changing world is the people who make things happen. To keep pace with the ever-changing landscape of higher education, to remain competitive in the job market, and to stay current with work-related technologies, the University supports training and development for every member of the staff. Our staff has pursued the highest level of formal post secondary and vocational education possible to meet these challenges. The University provides learning opportunities on-the-job and through specialized and focused external resources, in addtion to tuition remission and e-Learning courses. We recognize that the combination of development opportunities, along with our staff's embracement of these opportunities, ensures that the University maintains one of the most skilled and competent work forces in the educational arena.
In further support of our commitment to staff development and in recognition of James T. Hill's long and outstanding service to the University, as well as his personal commitment to the professional development of UMB employees, The James T. Hill Scholarship Program has been created.
A $2,000.00 educational scholarship is presented annually to a deserving employee. He or she will be presented with the scholarship at the University of Maryland, Baltimore Employee Service Awards. The scholarship will be used to financially support employee development for expenses incurred at:
- Vocational and Trade Schools
- Colleges and Universities
- Specialty Training
The Guidelines for applying to the Scholarship program are as follows:
- You must be currently employed at the The University of Maryland The Founding Campus and have at least two years continuous employment at the time of application.
- You are a regular full time exempt or non-exempt employee.
- Your supervisor must support your scholarship application.
- History of demonstrated professional development activities.
- All applications must be submitted by Friday, March 15, 2013.
- The winner will be announced at the 2013 Employee recognition and Service award ceremony.
- If you meet these qualifications and are interested in applying or would like to nominate an employee for the scholarship, please:
- Complete the application.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your supervisor. A second, optional recommendation letter, may be submitted from a personal reference.
- A self-written essay describing your past and planned development goals as they relate to your career goals. Certificates, transcripts, and other supporting documentation are welcomed and should be included.